Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Shakespearean Hokey Pokey (Plus Observations on Spiritual Warfare)

Good evening ladies and gents! I have a special treat for you! This is a Shakespearean version of The Hokey Pokey. Now, I did not write this, but I think it is worth passing on! All credit goes to the owners.

The Hokey Pokey—Shakespearean Style, by The Reduced Shakespeare Company
O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Comman siistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke.
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from heaven’s yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the poke—banish now thy doubt
Verily, I say, ‘tis what it’s all about.
****

TA-DA!!!
On a completely unrelated subject, do you want to hear about something weird that happened on Sunday? Of course you do!
I run sound for the church that we go to. I'm just in training, but I know a decent bit about the system there. So when the music started, I knew that something wasn't quite right with the sound. It was sounding weird. So I kept adjusting things trying to make it better. The song ended, and the singer(who also happens to be the head audio-technician) asked me to turn the monitor way down. Strange, I hadn't adjusted it. So I turned it almost all the way down, and they started the next song. And I had nothing.
*panics*
Ok, so I start checking things to make sure they're right. I've got sound coming to the board, it's going out to the recorder that we have set up to the board, but nothing is coming from the speakers. Then it occurred to me that the sound I had earlier had come from the monitors! So I ran backstage to see if I could find anything wrong back there. No such luck. So when the song ended, I stepped out, explained the situation, and we made do. We turned the monitors around, turned them up, and it worked. We had a team of missionaries speaking that day, and the pastor said it was possible that it was spiritual warfare.
Fast forward to Monday.
We were going to do some troubleshooting to see if we could find out what went wrong. I wasn't there for the first part, I walked in after a few minutes, when the music started playing through the speakers like it was supposed to. So I asked him what he did differently.
He didn't do anything differently.
0_o
FREAKY!!!!!!
There is a constant battle going on that we aren't even aware of most of the time.
We must pray fervently, because the fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

-Aarathyn Arvell

(AUTHOR'S NOTE-I just realized how creepy that ending was. I apologize if I scared anyone.) 


2 comments:

  1. LOL on the Shakespearean Hokey-Pokey.

    On the rest . . . wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny too.

    And on the rest, it was strange. And maybe it wasn't warfare, maybe there was just a problem that we haven't found yet. But still.

    ReplyDelete